Student Voice and Influence Manager Job at Hull University Union – in Kingston upon Hull
Student Voice and Influence Manager
HUSU Grade G1-G6 £31,184
Hull University Students Union is a unique environment – we are a charity with a great team made up of established staff, student staff, elected Presidents and volunteers to provide our members (the students of the University of Hull) with opportunities to create change, gain new skills and experiences, access help and support when needed, make friends, work for us, explore the city and surrounding area and most importantly have a great time!
Hull University Students Union is run by students (Presidents) who have been elected by their fellow students. These Presidents represent students in their academic life through societies and sports alongside other recreational activities. The Union uniquely, has both democratic and charity governance with a student led Union council holding the Presidents and wider Union to account. Ultimately the Unions mission is to ensure students studying at the University of Hull gain valuable life skills as well as the best education possible.
Working to lead, manage and develop HUSUs Student Voice and Influence team and provision, working closely with the President team and Part-Time Officers. The post holder will be responsible for the successful development and delivery of HUSU Student Voice and Influence work steam in line with HUSUs strategic aims.
- To Contribute to the continued development of HUSUs strategy, working with the Membership Services Management team to set and review annual targets and goals.
- Build and maintain relationships with HUSU key stakeholders, members/students of the University, community and charitable organisations, sponsors and funders.
- Manage the risks associated with the Health, Safety and Welfare of delivering safe and secure democratic services, representation and campaign activities.
- Write and/or review policies, protocols or processes assigned to the Voice and Influence or Membership Services portfolio.
- Work closely with the Elected President team, in particular the Presidents of Education, Union Development and Inclusivity and Diversity. Contribute to their induction, residential and ongoing learning and development. Support them in their knowledge and understanding of the Voice and Influence portfolio. Work with the team to support the successful delivery of their manifestos and operational plans each year.
- Be responsible for the programme of work to deliver safe, accessible and fair student-led democracy, representation, change-making and political activity including but not limited to; elections, Union Council, Academic Representation, campaigns and volunteering.
- Ensure up to date knowledge of the Students Union Voice and Influence environment, carry out research with and get involved with or build networking opportunities to ensure we are focused on best practice across our services and activities.
- Work with Marketing to provide timely, informative and engaging communications and updates to our members.
- Work with the Membership Services Director and Commercial Services Director on complaints or subsequent investigation/disciplinary processes relating to Student members. These might include breaches of the members Code of Conduct, policy or constitution matters across the Membership portfolio, in line with our Complaints and Disciplinary policies.
- As required, support any complaints or subsequent investigation/disciplinary processes in other areas of HUSU in line with the Complaints and Disciplinary policies.
- Plan, manage and monitor the Student Voice and Influence Team budget and make recommendations to the Membership Services Director regarding cost savings or additional expenditure through annual planning cycles.
- Produce regular insight reports for Committee and/or Board meetings regarding the progress of the Student Voice and Influence Team in relation to agreed targets and goals.
- Support Presidents and team members as appropriate with research and reports for internal and stakeholder meetings.
- Create and oversee annual Operations plans with the Voice and Influence team and Presidents.
- Monitor and evaluate the success of these plans through the annual Strategic planning cycle.
- Lead the Student Voice and Influence Team to ensure that HUSUs strategic aims in relation to democracy and representation are achieved.
- Work with HR and the Membership Services Director on recruitment, induction and learning and development of the team.
- Hold regular 1-2-1 meetings with all direct reports and annual performance appraisals in line with the HUSU Competency framework.
- Plan for and hold regular team meetings, on occasion planning for more in-depth team building and planning sessions.
- To Carry out any other duties as may be required from time to time under the overall scope of the role.
- Degree level or equivalent qualification
- Significant experience in a service delivery or project management role requiring attention to detail, creativity and problem-solving skills
- Previous experience of coordinating outreach and engagement activities
- Experience of motivating others to achieve organisational goals
- Experience of staff and/or volunteer management or coordination.
- Experience of designing and delivering training
- Experience of using data to inform decision making
- Proven track record of establishing relationships with external organisations to maximise opportunities
- Implementing and recording policy and procedure
- Understanding and experience of using risk management procedures
- Understanding of diverse range of student needs
- Management level 3 qualification
- Level 3 award in Education and Training.
- Experience of setting and managing budgets
- Experience of developing and implementing policy and procedure.
- Experience of dealing with conflict, and managing complaints and/or disciplinary matters for members/service users.
- Knowledge and understanding of representation and democracy in the higher education sector.
Were committed to ensuring our workforce accurately reflects the diversity of the world we live in. We positively encourage applications from all individuals irrespective of their gender, age, home country, ethnic background, sexuality, religious beliefs or disability.
All candidates will be treated equally and all appointments made on merit.
Reports to: Membership Services Director
To apply please follow this link: https://hulluniversityunionnew.peoplehr.net/Pages/JobBoard/Opening.aspx?v=1459dde6-5c69-46ca-b1d8-6324663a91bf
Closing Date: 25/10/2021
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations
Company: Hull University Union –
Company Location: Kingston upon Hull