Software Engineer Job at Oxford Quantum Circuits in Reading
At Oxford Quantum Circuits (OQC) we are building quantum computers to enable life-changing discoveries : from new drug modelisation to longer-lasting battery technology and portfolio optimisation. We are developing a cloud based quantum computer service – Quantum Computing as a Service (QCaaS) – to help our customers improve their operations and trailblaze new commercial and scientific approaches.
Our team is composed of 15 people with various backgrounds in quantum physics, nanotechnologies, hardware, and software. We are all bound by the desire to put OQC at the forefront of the quantum revolution and build a technology with practical applications in mind.
As a software engineer at OQC, you will join a team of physicists and software engineers developing solutions to the design and simulation of the superconducting circuits from which we build quantum processors. In this dynamic environment, you will need to create novel solutions to significant engineering challenges to enable OQC’s development of cutting-edge technology.
- Develop sophisticated and robust software tools for:
- high-level design and simulation of quantum devices
- translating these designs into real layouts for further simulation or fabrication
- Identify, prioritise and execute tasks in the software development life cycle, including writing code, testing, peer review, bug fixing and collecting user feedback
- Analyse user requirements and write technical specifications
- Collaborate with the technical teams within OQC to inform future development
- A bachelor’s degree in a scientific, mathematical or engineering discipline
- At least 2 years of commercial software development experience, ideally in science, engineering or manufacturing industry
- In-depth knowledge of Python
- Strong problem solving, troubleshooting and analysis skills
- Ability to work effectively in an agile team environment; ideally familiarity with JIRA, confluence, git and code peer-reviews
- Technically versatile and able to learn new skills that you can apply across multiple types of work
- An interest in learning about how superconducting circuits are modelled and simulated
- Familiarity with electronics engineering or microwave frequency electronics simulations
- A passion for new and emerging science and software technologies
- Experience developing software for high performance, multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Previous development of tools for science/engineering applications using Python and scientific python libraries such as scipy
LOCATION & TRAVEL
OQC’s office is located in Shinfield, Reading UK. There will be a requirement for occasional travel throughout the UK and elsewhere abroad for conferences, meetings and engineering visits.
Attractive remuneration based on experience.
As we will spend time reviewing your application and assessing the cultural and experience fit, we kindly ask that you send clear information about your main strengths and weaknesses for the role. Applications without a cover letter or an annotated version of this role description with your experience, strengths and weaknesses will not be considered.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Reference ID: OQCSoftwareEng
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- software development: 2 years (Required)
- Yes, temporarily due to COVID-19
Company: Oxford Quantum Circuits
Company Location: Reading