Service & Repair Centre Engineer Job at Aspect Scientific Ltd – in Tarporley
Aspect Scientific provide specialist technical services to medical device manufacturers and distributors.
Through long term partnerships we provide end-user support for laboratory based equipment and also our own instrumentation which is provided directly.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an expanding, specialist technical service and support company primarily focused in the medical diagnostic instrumentation and laboratory automation sector. You will be joining a professional, forward thinking and dynamic team focused on delivering high quality technical services, at an ideal time to establish and develop your role within the business and as we establish our new Service & Repair Centre which will open in early 2022.
In this role you will be in a position to support the business by providing first class customer support and technical services. You will also help to develop the Service Centre business further by working with management to develop and offer new or enhanced services to customers, and involvement in implementing internal improvements to service processes and systems, making the role very rewarding and exciting.
You will work within the Engineering Team and be responsible for carrying out Service Centre (Workshop) based service and repair work on various medical diagnostic instrumentation.
You will carry out service and repair activities, such as routine servicing, return to base repairs, reconditioning and testing of parts, modules and complete equipment. You will also be involved in preparation of instrumentation prior to installation on the customer site and potentially also travelling to site to assist Field Service Engineers with installation or removal of equipment from customer sites.
You will also be jointly responsible for providing our customers with first line technical support via telephone and/or email with the aim of resolving analyser / equipment problems remotely using the resources and knowledge available from the Service Centre.
This role will consist of the following main functions and objectives:
- Carry out repair of modules and components returned to the Service Centre by Field Service Engineers.
- Carry out repair, servicing and reconditioning of equipment using procedures
- Carry out extensive testing and validation of equipment.
- Inspection and testing processes of point of care (POC) instruments used for temporary loans.
- Provide first line technical support to customers via telephone and email (Rota based).
- Organise return of faulty, but under warranty, POC instruments to manufacturers.
- Prepare, setup and test instrumentation prior to installation on the customer site.
- Work with Field Service Engineers to deliver, install or remove equipment / instrumentation on site.
- Potentially carry out routine service work / preventative maintenance visits on the customer site occasionally to support the Field Service Team (although this is not a key objective).
- Develop an in depth understanding and knowledge of the instrumentation we service and support the field based Engineering team with technical assistance from the Service Centre if required.
- Work with the administration team to manage movement of customer loan instruments that are sent and returned from customer sites, and maintain this loan unit stock.
- Carry out decommission and removal of end of life large lab instruments from customer sites
- Work with the Service Centre Manger, Service Quality and Personnel Director and Managing Director to generate ideas and solutions to continually improve customer service.
The Service Centre is a key and central area of the business, you will be able to develop a huge range of experience and help the business provide unique and critical customer services while also being able to develop a deep knowledge of equipment and be able to offer assistance to other team members. Full product specific training will be provided.
To succeed in this exciting role, you must be able to demonstrate a competent background in a similar role and applications are encouraged from those with relevant experience.
- Fault finding skills on equipment potentially involving electrical, electronic, mechanical and fluidics based systems
- Computing knowledge, computer hardware fault finding & general software installation, setup and use.
- General IT knowledge, including the setup and use of Microsoft Windows, equipment specific software, etc.
- Electrical and electronics servicing and repair knowledge and skills; components, electronics principles, basics of analogue & digital electronics, fault finding to board / major component level with good understanding of components and their purpose.
- Ability and interest to learn outside of specifically qualified area, electronics qualification required as the basis although aspects of the job involve more general service engineering skills
- Understanding of and ability to read schematic diagrams, service manuals, fault finding procedures etc.
- Use of electrical test equipment (oscilloscope, multi-meters, temperature meters, manometers, PAT testing)
- Demonstrate technical and engineering ability, an eye for detail and high quality workmanship and results
- Competent to advise and support a range of customers with technical (instrument) difficulties, faults or enquiries
- To work to achieve agreed targets and objectives for customer satisfaction and service performance including departmental KPI’s.
- Develop and maintain expertise and technical knowledge within any specific area given and share knowledge with the rest of the team, provide training where required.
Qualifications and training:
- Possess Electrical and Electronic Servicing qualifications of at least City & Guilds Level 3 and an ONC in electronics servicing.
- You will need a background skill set and qualification in electronics equipment repair/servicing, however full product specific training will be provided by the equipment manufacturers.
General skills and abilities:
- The individual must be flexible and able to react to the changing business needs and manage personal workload as per the current business requirements.
- The individual should have a strong knowledge of this type of role and be able to contribute and expand on the functions and objectives outlined above, within the scope of the role, to help with the growth and flexibility of the business
- Enthusiasm for learning and understanding how the business operates and provide a methodical, logical approach to problem solving with a high degree of attention to detail.
- The individual should be able to manage the processes involved and motivated with the ability to deliver results, with the enthusiasm to gain new knowledge and take on new challenges.
- Ability to produce accurate, detailed and appropriate technical reports regarding work carried out, including completion of any relevant checklists and data records.
- Excellent communications skills, listening, understanding and reassuring customers with complaints confidently. Able to effectively ask questions to gain an understanding of customer issues and / or concerns, gather relevant and complete information to then resolve a technical issue.
- Communicate effectively across the company, working with others as required, to ensure that the departmental and business objectives are met.
- Conscientious and reliable.
- Good time management to enable the best use of time and resources to achieve the desired outcomes.
- Problem solving skills and able to make decisions within own area of work
- Able to work effectively on your own, as well as within a team environment.
Reference ID: Service Centre Engineer
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £23,000.00-£26,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Private medical insurance
- Sick pay
- Wellness programmes
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Tarporley CW6 9BL: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Certificate of Higher Education (required)
- Electrical/Electronic Equipment Service & Repair: 4 years (preferred)
- Service Centre / Repair Workshop: 4 years (preferred)
- Driving Licence (required)
Company: Aspect Scientific Ltd –
Company Location: Tarporley