Senior Auditor Job at Government Internal Audit Agency – in North East
£39,195 – £45,386
Senior Executive Officer
Length of employment
This role is being offered on a permanent basis however temporary fixed term contracts up to 2 years are also available.
Type of role
Flexible working, Full-time, Part-time
Number of posts
About the job
About Government Internal Audit Agency
We are an executive agency of Her Majesty’s Treasury (HM Treasury), established in April 2015 to improve the quality of internal audit provided to central government.
Most of the Agency’s people are professionally qualified internal auditors, accountants or investigators.
Many are also specialists in areas including counter fraud, project management, digital and commercial audit.
We lead both the Government Internal Audit Profession and the Government Internal Audit Function.
Our workforce brings with it a unique depth of experience gained in a wide range of government departments, related bodies and other sectors.
This enables us to offer a high-quality service based on cross-government insight and a strong understanding of our customers’ business.
In GIAA, we aim to be a great place to work and to ensure that we have the capability and capacity to make even more of a significant contribution to achieving A Brilliant Civil Service over the coming years.
Our initial focus was on becoming “a single audit practice”. We are now focused on taking GIAA to the next level so we can provide better insights and better outcomes for government.
This is a significant career opportunity to join a fast paced and growing organisation, using your expertise and knowledge to influence and shape the Agency.
If you are a qualified auditor or accountant with experience and skills in helping customers to understand and manage their risks, along with ensuring exemplary standards of governance, control and assurance issues we would love to hear from you. This is your opportunity to join a highly respected, forward-thinking organisation that builds and maintains strategic relationships at the most senior levels across the majority of government departments. The variety and contribution of these roles is unparalleled across government.
We are looking to recruit from a variety of backgrounds which will improve GIAA’s experience and skills base as the vacancies we have cover a diverse mix of roles across various locations and government departments, from the Ministry of Justice through to the Department of Health, including Executive Agencies and Independent bodies.
Senior Auditors in GIAA are responsible for the delivery of audit and assurance activity across a varied and interesting range of customers and topics, either working individually or leading a small team of auditors. You will be allocated a portfolio of work around a core cluster of customers, while also having the opportunity to broaden your experience by working on new topics or with new customers. With access to high profile work, you will work alongside key decision makers, audit specialists and private sector contractors within the Agency, challenging and developing your skills as well as ensuring we meet our customers’ expectations.
Senior Auditors are the key day to day contacts for our clients and their ability to build good relationships with a variety of stakeholders whilst delivering efficient and robust audit work is key to the success of the Agency’s relationship with our clients. We value all our employees and will offer you support in maintaining and building your professional career through technical training, coaching and development opportunities. In addition, you are entitled to a formidable range of benefits from a generous pension provision, embracing of flexible work patterns, diversity and security.
The roles on offer are audit role but candidates who hold an accountancy qualification will be considered if they have some experience in dealing with audit.
- Be an effective team member, supporting wider GIAA delivery by working constructively and flexibly with colleagues to deliver appropriate objectives;
- Manage your own time and resource effectively; proactively identify, foresee and take ownership of issues affecting delivery of your and the wider teams’ objectives and provides solutions and options ahead of deadlines;
- Provide and deliver clear and accurate reports that meet the requirements of the customers and carry out activities to ensure that agreed management actions are completed;
- Be accountable for delivery of a portfolio of audits, working on more than one assignment at once, possible on different clients, to budget and quality expectations, complying with GIAA methodology, using our IT audit software system;
- To scope audit assignments, including drafting terms of reference, testing strategies, fieldwork plans, reporting timetables and focus work on identified risks; single audit methodology and audit management software;
- To work with professional skill and be a trusted adviser to clients, responsible for working level relationships with key contacts
- Actively work with others while sharing expertise and experience, coaching juniors and peers, and helping the Agency develop its professional practice;
- Look to continuously improve your own development and performance and that of the wider team, participating in training and broader corporate activities as required;
- Respond positively to team and departmental changes, being an ambassador for the Agency as it develops;
- Be highly organised, actively monitoring audit deliverables to ensure high quality service, delivered to agreed time quality and resource constraints.
- Be a team player who is able to coach and develop others
Candidates will need to demonstrate full current membership of a recognised professional accountancy / audit body below:
Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors UK & Ireland must hold the chartered auditor/CMIIA designation or the MIIA designation where you are qualified under the previous exam route and did not apply to make this chartered. If you have passed all of the CMIIA/MIIA exams but do not hold the designation, you are not eligible to apply.
Other Institutes of Internal Auditors that are part of IIA Global. If you studied with the Institute of Internal Auditors in another country, you must hold the equivalent of the MIIA designation. You should verify this with the IIA UK & Ireland prior to submitting your application, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. No other level of internal audit qualifications will meet the requirements of this post.
Accountancy, fully qualified, current member of one of five CCAB bodies (ICAEW, ACCA, CIPFA, ICAS, Chartered Accountants Ireland or CIMA).
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Delivering at Pace
Making Effective Decisions
- Competitive salaries and in-year rewards
- Flexible working
- Civil Service Pension
- Discount on big brands
- Volunteering days
- Season Ticket Loan and Cycle to Work Schemes
- Free eyesight tests
- Family-friendly HR policies
- 25 days’ annual leave increasing by one day per year of service to 30 days after 5 years’ service.
- Geographically based Agency
Company: Government Internal Audit Agency –
Company Location: North East