Project Engineer Job at NanoSUN – in Lancaster
NanoSUN is a fast-growing start-up company that provides hydrogen fueling equipment and green hydrogen fuel to the fuel cell industry. The company has built and sold small scale prototype equipment for hydrogen refueling to multiple customers and segments, including for the refuelling of small mobility applications such as bikes, through to large UAVs. It has now secured funding to commercialise larger scale refuellers and develop a range of mobile hydrogen refueling stations for trucks, buses & cars. Recently, NanoSUN completed its first large-scale refueller prototype and received €2.5 million in European Innovation Council funding to support development of this system, and subsequent field-trials.
NanoSUN is now working on it’s first “mass production” product, developing engineering designs and manufacturing systems in order to meet the needs of a growing customer pipeline.
The Project Engineer is responsible for working within a deployed team working on a specific project, product, or service. Within the workstreams they are deployed into, they act as the main point of technical and project management integration and must have an understanding of the overall route to customer delivery, ultimately being responsible for contributing to the technical work required at all stages.
The Project Engineer has a critical role to play in managing the inputs from across the whole engineering function through the entire lifecycle of a product. This involvement runs right from generation of requirements and concepts, through to completion of risk analysis and hazard reviews and on to understanding system operation, and ultimately the decommissioning processes.
A good Project Engineer is a “systems thinker”; they can visualize how the different physical and process components come together to deliver a world-class product.
In some circumstances, the Project Engineer may also have responsibility for managing the day-to-day tasking of a small group of engineers. The Project Engineer must collaborate with all engineering disciplines, and other functions within the business, in order to efficiently deliver great results.
The Project Engineer is a technical role, requiring good understanding of core engineering disciplines.
Whilst there is no requirement for an engineering background specific to chemical or process engineering, this may be of benefit to the applicant. Experience in project management is also preferable in order to enable effective delivery against project milestones, however training can be provided in-house.
Key responsibilities include:
- Working within NanoSUN’s design process framework, contribute to teams working on the launch of new projects, products, and services.
- Completing the engineering activity required to launch these programs of work, select appropriate concepts, and develop detailed designs.
- Collaborating with the Mechanical and Electrical and Controls design engineers to complete detailed design work on specific products.
- Working alongside the Development and Verification engineering team to execute the Validation and Verification plan for the relevant product or project.
- Generating key product documentation and recording relevant design data as required by internal processes and Third-Party Type Approval.
- Communicating with the internal Manufacturing Engineering team, as well as third party vendors and manufacturing partners to manage development, assembly and commissioning of NanoSUN products.
- Acting as a delegate for the Senior Project Engineer in constructing and managing project plans.
- Presenting product attributes and capabilities to customers.
- Minimum of BEng in a relevant Engineering Discipline.
- A minimum of 2 years relevant industrial experience is preferred.
- A clear focus on CPD and on a pathway to Engineering Chartership with a UK Institution
- Relevant and successful experience of working within small teams.
- Independent approach to assigned work, good at working in highly dynamic environments, where requirements, processes and regulatory frameworks are subject to regular change.
- Strong analytical and numeracy skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills with high attention to detail.
- A strong grasp of engineering and design principles, including in Process and Engineering Design fundamentals, particularly process safety (LOPA, FMEA, HAZOP, HAZAN, SRS, SIL)
- A sound knowledge of computer aided design (CAD) software, technical drawings and 3D modelling. However, the Project Engineer does not need to be an experienced practitioner.
- In some circumstances, being able to generate simple 2D drawings may be helpful – e.g. Process and Instrumentation Diagrams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An understanding of manufacturing processes and construction methods
- Ability to plan and organise through several project stages
- An appreciation of wider business demands
- An awareness of the environmental impact of design ideas
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £30,000.00-£35,000.00 per year
- Bike to work scheme
- Company pension
- Flexible schedule
- Work from home
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Lancaster LA1 3SW: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- project engineering: 2 years (required)
Company: NanoSUN –
Company Location: Lancaster