Plant Health and Seed Inspector Job at HallMark Veterinary & Compliance Services in Stanford-le-Hope
HallMark Veterinary & Compliance Services has a position for a Plant Health and Seed Inspector (PHSI) to work with the Plant Health and Seed Inspectorate. The work of the Inspectorate is to maintain and promote a high plant health status in England and Wales and thereby contribute to the overarching purpose of protecting and promoting plant health within trade, agriculture and the natural environment.
Key tasks may include:
· Organisation of emergency measures to control outbreaks of specified quarantine and non- indigenous pests and diseases in areas of proven competency.
· Conducting crop surveys and soil sampling in connection with regulations made to prevent the spread of dangerous plant pests and diseases.
· Certification of export plants and planting material after examination in accordance with the importing country’s requirements, including advice to exporters on the requirements.
· Inspection of certain agricultural and horticultural crops in connection with statutory and domestic plant health certification/classification schemes and marketing standard regulations.
· Performing the statutory duties relating to regulations made under the Plant Varieties and Seeds Act 1964, including field inspections and enforcement checks on the activities of seed firms and seed samplers.
· Undertaking additional specialised duties including delivering work directly to and on behalf of Business Improvement Groups.
· Completing administrative duties as required in accordance with standard operating procedures and agency guidelines and time frames.
· Statutory inspection of fresh Horticultural produce, imported plants, planting material and plant produce to ensure compliance with import regulations.
· Enforcing the marketing standards and grading rules for fresh produce in England and Wales to ensure traders meet their statutory responsibilities.
· Conducting inspections and supporting heightened enforcement action against non-compliant traders including the possible collection and collation of evidence required for any criminal investigations where necessary.
· In addition to physical inspection procedures, ensuring that documents accompanying imported material are satisfactory and in accord with phytosanitary measures and the standards required for the marketing of fresh horticultural produce.
· Collecting samples and enforcing olive oil standards, collecting official market data and seizing samples for Government pesticide residue testing.
· Certifying for export produce, plants, seeds, grain, machinery and ware potatoes after examination in accordance with the importing country’s requirements, including issue of phytosanitary certificates and HMI produce conformity certificates for fresh Horticultural produce and advice to exporters on the requirements.
· Liaising closely with various regulatory bodies such as Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, UK Border Agency, Port Health and Animal Health authorities.
Plant Health & Seed Inspectors may be required to work at other locations, or overseas for short periods of time, so candidates must be prepared to work and stay away from home. A PHSI may be required to work in a shift pattern to meet business needs. This pattern can be early morning or a late evening shift and can span over weekends and public holidays. This is initially a three-month contract which may be extended.
· Full Driving licence
· Minimum of a HND or equivalent qualification in Agriculture or Horticulture or Knowledge of plants and horticulture to a working level equivalent to that of an HND
· Experience of having worked effectively in a people-facing environment.
· Ability to confidently converse in English to articulate complex technical matter to the trade
Reference ID: Stanford le Hope
Contract length: 3 months
Expected Start Date: 04/01/2021
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: From £23,500.00 per year
Company: HallMark Veterinary & Compliance Services
Company Location: Stanford-le-Hope