Mechanical Engineer Job at Hitachi Rail Limited – in London
London, United Kingdom
Hitachi Rail Limited
Profession (Job Category):
Are you looking for opportunities to work on high profile rail projects and advanced technology alongside experts from the around the globe? Come and join the fastest growing rail business in the world!
Hitachi Rail is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signalling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions. We are working to Inspire the Next – and this is your chance to be part of it.
Your new role
The main responsibilities for this exciting permanent role, based in London are as follows.
- Design support for mechanical systems for Hitachi’s range of commuter and high speed trains. – The successful candidate will work closely with Hitachi Kasado and Mito Engineers to design the concept, detailed and final designs for new rolling stock projects.
- The successful candidate will support the approval process (certification and testing) for all new systems, providing guidance to the factory where required.
- The Mechanical Engineer will also be responsible for:
- Determining the design requirements for mechanical systems (Couplers, Carbody, Bogies, HVAC, Doors, etc.)
- Working closely with the test and commissioning teams, supporting the approvals process
- Where required, supporting the design process/supplier selection of all mechanical systems.
- Supplier management including fault investigation process.
- This is a key role and the successful candidate will act as the interface between the UK and Japanese engineering teams. Some travel in Europe and to Japan is expected.
- Excellent knowledge of systems integration is a requirement as you will need to liaise with other system engineers, maintenance, testing and commercial functions.
- Knowledge of fault investigation during dynamic commissioning stage is a requirement as you need to liaise with Kasado and Mito engineer. Ridding on test train is required, where necessary.
- You will also be expected to assist, where necessary, with technical support for existing Hitachi products.
- The successful candidate will be expected to participate in customer facing design reviews, provide bid support and management for new products and technical support for contract reviews.
All other responsibilities allocated from line managers.
Key Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of Train configuration, mechanical drawings, control and pneumatic circuits.
- Experience of designing/testing train systems.
- Knowledge of the UK/EU Railway Operations, Engineering and standards
- Good English language skills
- Experience of and commitment to the effective implementation of equal opportunities and CSR policies.
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Commitment to working as part of a team
- An understanding of health and safety requirements of a working environment
Licences / Competences / Experience
- Chartered Engineer
- Knowledge of Rolling Stock Approvals (RGS Standards, TSIs, etc)
- Test and Commissioning knowledge
- Commercial experience advantageous
- FEA experience
- Vehicle dynamics experience
- Vehicle gauging experience
Why Hitachi Rail?
At Hitachi Rail you will find a passionate and collaborative environment. We operate according to our values of Harmony, Sincerity and Pioneering Spirit. As such, we work closely as a team and empower our colleagues to take ownership and become creative in our pursuit of excellence. We take pride in the contribution we make to society and we always act with integrity and fairness towards our customers, suppliers and colleagues.
We offer a competitive salary and annual leave entitlement as well as a generous benefits package. This includes a pension scheme with contributions up to 9%, health insurance, and many more perks for you to choose from within a flexible plan that will meet your specific needs and lifestyle.
If you like the sound of the above and feel energised by the idea of joining a great brand at a moment of exciting expansion, please apply now. We look forward to hearing from you!
Job Type: Full-time
Company: Hitachi Rail Limited –
Company Location: London