Learning Mentor Job at Flexible Learning School/Online School in Birmingham
Learning mentors offer support and guidance to children, young people, and sometimes adults, who experience difficulties with their learning. Mentors work closely with individuals who are struggling with social, emotional or behavioural problems that affect their ability to learn.
As a learning mentor, you’ll work alongside teachers and other staff, figuring out the needs of learners who require help and how to overcome barriers that are preventing them from achieving their full potential.
You’ll work with a range of learners, but give priority to those who need the most help, especially those experiencing multiple disadvantages.
You could cover a variety of issues, ranging from punctuality, absence, challenging behaviour and abuse, to working with able and gifted learners who are experiencing difficulties.
You may be asked to cover lessons if required.
- liaising with staff to identify learners who would benefit from the help and support
- helping learners who are under-performing in their subjects, either on a one-to-one basis outside the classroom or within lessons
- implementing strategies and supporting learners in self-esteem and confidence-building activities
- listening to learners and helping them resolve a range of issues that are creating barriers to their learning
- drawing up agreed action plans with learners, outlining the aims of the mentoring, and monitoring their progress
- monitoring attendance and punctuality of learners
- networking with other learning mentors, teachers and relevant external agencies
- liaising with relevant professionals and individuals, e.g. educational psychologists, the police and social services
- managing your own professional development through undertaking relevant training and sharing best practice with other learning mentors
- hours of work 09:15 – 15:45
- giving out lunch money
- lunch and breaks paid for as you will be required to monitor pupils (optional)
- keeping classrooms neat and tidy
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £10.00-£15.00 per hour
Company: Flexible Learning School/Online School
Company Location: Birmingham