Lead Software Developer Job at UK Government – Department for Education in Coventry
You will work with a team of Junior Developers, Developers and other specialists to support you in delivering programmes. You will be expected to help lead recruitment for other developers, communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders, and provide technical leadership within the team with the goal to identify the best technology and solutions. Your role will be integral to our transformation projects..
You will lead a team of outstanding software developers (permanent and managed services) to help build and run great digital services.
You will ensure you deliver high quality code in line with project goals and delivery cycles. You will thrive and enjoy working openly, collaboratively and as part of a multidisciplinary team focused on one or more projects.
Above all, you will want to make government better, which may sometimes involve challenging the status quo. Working in a multi-disciplinary team on a wide range of digital projects, you will use agile methodologies like pair programming and Test Driven Development (TDD).
This role will focus on developing digital data collections to meet business and user needs; developing complex validation rules or funding calculations, developing business requirements and using an array of digital tools to progress project delivery.
Some of our products require either Government Digital Service (GDS) or internal DfE assessment at the end of each Agile development phase, regardless of this all are built upholding the GDS standards.
- Lead a team of outstanding software developers (permanent and managed services) to help build and run great digital services. This will include setting the development approach, and delivering software in a continuous deployment environment.
- Be responsible for establishing the code libraries, performing code reviews, and ensuring all developers on the team conform to good software practice and take ownership for the quality of code produced by the team. This will include taking responsibility for applying the software quality management system within the team. This will mean working across multiple scrum teams to ensure that practices align.
- Lead on frontend and backend web development, and implementing APIs for internal and external use. This will require working with technical architects, test managers, and dev ops colleagues in order to ensure the smooth transition from development to live.
- Lead in the delivery of data collections development projects guiding the ways in which the team works and improving software development practices within the team.
- Take a leading role in the software development clan including being involved in the wider web development community, identifying good practices we can adopt and sharing our experiences.
- You will ensure all code libraries conform to standards, perform code reviews, and ensure all developers on the team conform to good software practice and take ownership for the quality of code produced by the team working with specialist practitioners covering Security, Ethical Hackers, Dev Ops and Testers.
- Manage a portfolio of live business applications, includes 2nd line support is managed as per SLAs.
- Collaborate with the team and other stakeholders to achieve successful delivery of high quality software products, ensuring they meet the technical standards of the department and conform to operational requirements of the hosting environment.
- Work with test and operations teams to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the life cycle.
- Act as a digital ambassador across government, supporting recruitment, identifying good practices to adopt and sharing experiences, e.g. through blog posts, tech talks at conferences etc.
- Build RESTful web services to serve a variety of citizen and government needs, taking responsibility for the quality of code you produce
- Provide technical leadership within the team, advising and working with the Principle Technical Architect and developers to identify the best solutions, driving quality and adherence to the specification.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Expert coding skills in one of the languages stated
Application of standards and methods
Applicants currently holding a permanent post in the Civil Service should note that, if successful, their salary on appointment would be determined by the Department’s transfer / promotion policies.
As a member of the DfE, you will be entitled to join the highly competitive Civil Service Pension Scheme, which many experts agree is one of the most generous in the UK.
You will have 25 days leave, increasing by 1 day every year to a maximum of 30 days after five years’ service. In addition, all staff receive the Queen’s Birthday privilege holiday and 8 days’ bank and public holidays.
We offer flexible working arrangements, such as job sharing, term-time working, flexi-time and compressed hours.
As an organisation, which exists to support education and lifelong learning, we offer our staff excellent professional development opportunities.
Company: UK Government – Department for Education
Company Location: Coventry