Lead Design Strategist Job at Hitachi Europe Ltd. – in London
London, United Kingdom
Hitachi Europe Ltd.
Profession (Job Category):
IT, Telecom & Internet
Hitachi is looking for a Lead Design Strategist to join our multidisciplinary team on special projects driving the long-term future of Hitachi core business. As part of the Design Lab, you will be working closely with our other R&D sustainability, mobility and data labs to look at systemic challenges and drive transformational solution concepts for digital energy and mobility systems. This is an opportunity to create social, commercial and environmental value as we transition to Net Zero economies.
As a Lead Design Strategist you will be responsible for bringing human-centred design into the development and delivery of strategic research programmes, from framing ecosystem challenges and opportunities with internal and external stakeholders, sensemaking social, market and behavioural trends, running design research activities, workshop facilitation, solution concept development and prototyping visions of our future services and solutions. You will also be guiding team members and colleagues through communicating and visualising complex ecosystems and concepts in visual, written and schematic formats, realising solutions through design and development with designers, researchers, engineers and external partners.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Use design led approaches to help develop research and innovation strategies for digital solutions across energy, environment, and mobility themes that bring a big picture and system thinking mindset in a highly collaborative environment
- Engage and influence relevant stakeholders at different stages of the innovation lifecycle – including planning and shaping project scope, strategy development, project execution
- Work with other internal leads to propose projects and secure internal or external funding for innovation programmes and expansion of design adoption
- Help revise and enhance Hitachi’s innovation and value creation framework (NEXPERIENCE) to scale throughout the organisation by integrating design in an actionable and effective manner
- Identify opportunities and create novel tools and methodologies for strategic and effective use of design in Hitachi’s business context
- Execute projects in collaboration with other researchers, solution architects, data scientists, designers and creative technologists including:
- Analysis of macro trends, developing human centred foresights and future state service and system visions.
- Lead activities to define and validate project assumptions and hypothesis through field research and prototyping activities.
- Defining and developing blueprints, journey maps, storyboards and other visually engaging communication material for re-imagined service experiences, operating models and touchpoints.
- Plan, host and facilitate collaborative (virtual/physical) workshops and sessions with internal and external team members from junior to C-level stakeholders.
- Lead planning, management and reporting tasks and deliverables for yourself and other project members
- Liaise and deliver presentations on progress and outcomes of work to senior management to report on progress, monitor and mitigate risks and build support
- Manage and mentor other team members from designers to non-designers in design led activities and user research
- Help develop partnerships with external organisations to develop our capabilities and delivery models
- Travel within UK, Europe, Japan and US
Skills & Experience
- Excellent sensemaking ability of varied and unstructured information at macro/societal or micro/behavioural levels
- Master’s Degree or higher in a design discipline or equivalent field
- Excellent qualitative and ethnographic research skills with the ability to draw out insights and latent user needs from complex scenarios
- Excellent critical analysis and you are driven to seek evidence for basing design decisions on
- You’ll have the right mindset to identify key assumptions being made regarding people’s experiences and you’ll know how to go about validating and testing them
- Proven project and time management skills in order to balance multiple concurrent project schedules to set deadlines and budgets, while mitigating risk
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills, visualisation and storytelling skills to articulate insights and design intent as well as to engage with others meaningfully to overcome barriers and drive projects forwards
- The ability to see the bigger picture while prioritising details to focus on
- Languages: English proficiency (essential)
- Proven design experience working across multidisciplinary teams in either design research, design strategy, service design, digital product design lead/senior roles (agency or in-house)
- Line management experience / lead teams delivering expected results
- Demonstrable success in launching transformative digital product or service
- Proven experience of complex project delivery through a solid foundation in understanding business, user and technology problems
- Thorough understanding of systems thinking.
- Demonstrable success in developing design-led tools and methodologies
- Experience of working across different cultures and diverse environments
- Experience in developing digital solutions for energy systems at a national or local level (beyond domestic ‘behind the meter’ energy solutions)
- Delivering strategic innovation/digital transformation programme activities in enterprise environment
- Experience in futures thinking and foresight development
Hitachi is a global company pushing breakthrough innovations that reach into all corners of our society. Everything we touch and operate will be connected to smart systems and intelligence. The next evolution of society will bring our digital and physical worlds together in new seamless interactions. We work in co-creation with our clients to rapidly envision, innovate and realise these opportunities and make them a reality to maintain a competitive edge in a changing world.
Hitachi was founded in 1910 as a machine repair shop at Kuhara Mining Company in Hitachi City, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan (Incorporated in 1920). Its mission and founding spirit are “Contribute to society through the development of superior, original technology and products”, and “Harmony, sincerity, pioneering spirit”, respectively. Throughout its 100-year history, the Hitachi Group has passed on its Mission and its Values to generations of employees and external stakeholders. The Vision has been created based on the Mission and the Values, i.e ., “Hitachi delivers innovations that answer society’s challenges. With our talented team and proven experience in global markets, we can inspire the world.”
Our research and development expertise across disciplines in science, engineering, technology and design-led innovation; combined with our global assets and capabilities enable us to deliver rapid and innovative solutions that bridge our physical and digital worlds.
Hitachi’s Research and Development Design Lab is at the forefront of our vision creation and customer co-creation projects to develop breakthrough digital products and service solutions across energy, mobility, sustainability, smart cities and industry 4.0 themes. Design is being pushed as a catalyst for growth and effective business and social outcomes.
Company Funded Benefits:
- Market competitive salary and discretionary bonus scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement
- A holiday banking scheme allowing you to bank untaken holiday to use another year
- Private Medical Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme available to all employees
- Personal Accident Insurance
Voluntary Benefits (funded by employee) including:
- Dental Insurance with option to include dependent children
Job Type: Full-time
Company: Hitachi Europe Ltd. –
Company Location: London