Head of Finance Job at Lazy Susan Ltd – in Portsmouth
Lazy Susan Ltd
Lazy Susan saw spectacular growth in sales and profitability in 2020 and this trend is accelerating in 2021. Now we need a dynamic Financial Controller to help the business realise ambitious plans for further growth and transformation. This is a pivotal role in delivering the high growth ambitions of a fast paced, digital-first business.
Lazy Susan was founded in a garden shed and through exceptional customer service, superior products and the passion of our team we have become the market leader in metal garden furniture in the UK and have added five other European territories. It didn’t take long to move on from that shed. Last year’s sales grew by over sixty percent to over £8m and we have just moved again into larger offices in Central Southsea, ready for the next phase of our growth. This year is on track for £15m sales and we have recently set-up Lazy Susan BV for the EU sales channel.
We aim to grow turnover to £30m and staff to around 75 within the next couple of years.
We are dedicated to constant improvement, both in the service we provide to our customers and in the development of the abilities of our team. We love to learn. You can tell a lot about our values by looking at our “Do Some Good” campaign on our websites.
This role is a “hands-on” role, responsible for the management of a small finance team of one or two others, and its reporting requirements on a day to day basis. This role aims to provide accurate financial information in a timely manner to the key business stakeholders and is an active member of the Executive Team, able to develop and react to operational plans and change across the business. Great technical skills are a prerequisite. Key areas of responsibility are:
- Accounting; monthly review of P&L, balance sheet and financial statements. The company is in the process of setting up an EU subsidiary in the Netherlands
- Controlling & Planning; preparation of forecasts, budgets, liquidity planning, analysis of monthly reporting / operational figures and implementing optimisation measures.
- Day to day management of the finance team.
- Lead, coach and mentor the finance team and ensure finance objectives are delivered
- Timely production of budgets and management accounts that accurately reflect the business activity.
- Management of monthly costs ensuring costs are well understood, controlled and budgeted for and efficiencies are gained where possible.
- Ensure key reconciliations are complete on a monthly basis (sales, margin, balance sheet).
- Forecasting income and cost and ensuring cash flow is managed.
- Managing sales & purchase ledger.
- Managing the year end accounts processes in conjunction with external accountants to ensure statutory accounts are produced and filed within the required deadlines (for UK and Netherlands subsidiary).
- Production of finance based statutory and regulatory reporting, including annual accounts, VAT (UK & EU) and Tax.
- Working with the Senior Management to produce strategy and financial plans.
- Developing finance policies and procedures and ensuring that these are being consistently followed.
- Oversight of corporate bank reconciliation.
- Ensuring efficient processing of monthly Payroll (outsourced) and pension payments and all required reporting.
- Review and ownership of the Financial Business Continuity plan.
Education, Experience & Skills
- A Qualified Accountant (CIMA/ACA/ACCA) – or equivalent, with experience in the retail environment.
- A knowledge of business operations processes, ideally in eCommerce.
- Excellent leadership qualities with the ability to motivate, develop and coach team members.
- Great planning, organising and communication skills.
- Previous experience of running a finance function including payroll, PAYE, NIC, VAT, Payments, banking arrangements, accounts preparation and audit and other accounting transactions, adhering to proper controls and processes.
- Demonstrated experience of using an ERP system and translating raw financial data into accessible management information and recommendations for action.
- A great communicator, open, reliable, and trustworthy.
- Committed to good governance.
- A good understanding of UK and EU sales tax legislation.
- Driven and determined, a hands on operator with a sleeves-rolled up mentality.
- Thrives in a high growth entrepreneurial business environment
Lazy Susan Ltd recruits and develops people entirely on merit. Our success has been, and will continue to be, down to our people. Our challenge is to grow the business and to ensure high levels of personal performance are balanced with equally high levels of job satisfaction and professional growth. We offer genuine fast track opportunities matched by generous incentive plans and employee benefits for high performers, including participation in our company share option scheme. Lazy Susan – Do Some Good
Lazy Susan Ltd provided the following inclusive hiring information:
We are an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants equally without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability status.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £55,000.00-£70,000.00 per year
- Bonus scheme
- Quarterly bonus
- Yearly bonus
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Free or subsidised travel
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
- Work from home
A full risk assessment of Lazy Susan facilities has been undertaken and all staff are made aware of necessary procedures. All staff are given lateral flow test kits to take on a weekly basis.
Company: Lazy Susan Ltd –
Company Location: Portsmouth