Graduate Software Engineer Job at Flare Bright in Aylesbury
Flare Bright Ltd
FlareBright is a rapidly growing scale-up company and globally leading in autonomous software development for drones. We are developing a unique fully autonomous nano-drone, SnapShot, and we need software engineers as we heavily use machine learning and simulation software in our development process as well as focusing on highly efficient code in our flight control system.
We hire only the best and our team are some of the brightest graduates and PhDs from the best universities in the UK. If you want to work in a stimulating environment working on the most challenging autonomy problems in the hugely expanding drone industry, this role is for you. We are seeking a creative, enthusiastic and quality-orientated graduate software engineer.
As a drone company focused on software challenges we are insulated from most of the issues produced by COVID, and have rapidly grown during the UK lockdown period. We have funding on 3 different UK Government projects as well as equity investment from leading Venture Capitalists and Angel investors.
Flare Bright is based in Westcott Venture Park, very close to Oxford, Bicester, Aylesbury and Thame sandwiched between the M1 and M40. Westcott Venture Park is a 650-acre business park, which has a vibrant community of over 80 companies in the tech, aerospace and space sectors.
Benefits and perks:
- Varied, interesting and challenging work.
- You will learn from the best and we will also train you in specific skills.
- Supportive and friendly team with a focus on maximum flexibility and minimum bureaucracy.
- We aim to be a leading company in terms of company perks, including holiday, employee share schemes, mid and end of year bonuses, training and qualifications, and whatever incentives make us work well together and make us happy in our workplace.
- Westcott has an on-site cafe, and is bike, electric car and parking-friendly. Our offices have showers and our own well-stocked kitchen.
Working closely with everyone from apprentices to our CEO and CTO, you will be responsible for designing and implementing quality software, then testing it in the real world in our workshop and on to flight testing. The work will be varied and cover machine learning, digital twins, Guidance, Navigation and Flight control (GNC) systems and the underlying sensor/actuator drivers, messaging, data logging, user apps, and test utilities.
Skills & Experience
- 1st class or 2.1 degree in Computer Science or a related engineering/maths-based discipline which included programming.
- You must have a strong grasp of object oriented programming, algorithms, data structures, and be keen to learn C++ and embedded real-time systems to expert level.
- Strong mathematical ability, particularly with 3D vectors and rotations.
- An analytical approach to problem solving under tough time constraints.
- Writing well-structured efficient software to high quality standards following coding conventions.
- Methodically developing well tested, well documented software.
- You must be willing to work as part of a team with good interpersonal skills.
A practical test is part of the interview where you will work alongside our CTO, designing, implementing and testing C++ software against a time limit and then explaining your solution and design choices.
Flexible & remote working is available but as we work with drones and robotics hardware you must generally be based in our offices and workshop in Westcott Venture Park where the equipment and team is located. We will not accept applications for purely remote working.
We work in defence as well as commercial and ‘blue light’ sectors, so you must be comfortable working on defence projects, and be eligible to work in the UK. We have a preference for those who will be able to work on sensitive defence projects due to nationality (typically UK, NATO or Five Eyes).
If this sounds like something you are interested in, please message us with a CV (2 pages maximum) and cover letter and we’ll arrange a conversation with further information.
NO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £22,000.00-£33,000.00 per year
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Software engineering: 3 years (Preferred)
- C++: 1 year (Preferred)
- Yes, temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitisation, disinfection or cleaning procedures in place
Company: Flare Bright
Company Location: Aylesbury