DE&S / SDA Professional Engineer Job at UK Government – Ministry of Defence in Bristol
We currently have a number of roles for Professional Engineers, based in Bristol. If you have the knowledge and experience to lead and advise on technical problem solving, across a host of complex Engineering functions, then we are really keen to hear from you!
In return, careers within our Engineering function offer stability, professional development and the chance to work on high profile and exciting projects, as well as a great work/life balance and an array of other benefits that come with being a member of the Civil Service.
Some of our posts require experienced Submarine Engineers, Nuclear Engineers and Build Assurance Engineers, among many other specialisms, so, if you have a particular technical discipline, we would encourage you to make this clear in your personal profile or on your CV, so that we can endeavour to place you in an area that suits your experience and preference.
We would also like to hear from people that have had experience of working high hazard and robustly regulated industries.
The specific assignments available to our Professional Engineers vary across the SDA and DE&S and successful applicants could be working in some of the following teams:
Nuclear Engineering, Combat Systems Engineering, Technology Management, Submarine Production or other Mechanical Engineering teams.
Due to the nature of the projects involved, some of these roles will require applicants to be Sole UK Nationals.
In your role as a Professional Engineer you will be expected to:
- Provide expert advice and guidance in your technical area, to solve complex technical problems and identify application risks
- Manage the technical requirements for the acquisition life-cycle stage of one or more project, programme, service or system
- Monitor and implement any governance and assurance policies and procedures to ensure the ‘safe & professional’ status of the area led
- Lead on the development of requirements related to your own area of specialism, including acceptance plans, performance criteria and draft specifications.
- Interface with industry, as the intelligent customer, both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks
- Lead or support in the professional/competence development of the SDA/DE&S Engineering function cohort
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Hold a relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification in a engineering related subject or equivalent experience in industry.
- Be a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer, or have demonstrated the equivalent knowledge, skills and experience to obtain this status within 12 months.
- Demonstrable experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes.
- Good depth and breadth of technical experience in own specialism with knowledge and application of Systems Engineering approaches within heavily regulated industries such as Oil and Gas, Aerospace, Nuclear, Petrochemical, Rail
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Be a member of a relevant Professional Engineering / Science Institute or equivalent body.
- Experience of carrying out Quality Assurance / Quality Control activities
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
- Technical requirements, Evaluation and Acceptance
- Technical decision making
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
- Communicating and influencing
- Changing and improving
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using ‘The Little Book of Big Benefits’ booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.”
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
Please find ‘The Little Book of Big Benefits’ attached or click here
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
Company: UK Government – Ministry of Defence
Company Location: Bristol