Defence Cyber Academy C2 Frameworks Job at Ministry of Defence – in Watchfield
Higher Executive Officer
MOD – Strategic Command – Defence Cyber Academy, Information Warfare Group, Defence Academy of the United Kingdom
Type of role
Education and Training
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
Number of posts
Watchfield, South East, SN6 8LA
About the job
As a result of the Integrated Review, the MOD is building on the success of the Defence Cyber School, part of the Defence Academy of the UK. The MOD has an ambitious goal to expand the Defence Cyber School into a Defence Cyber Academy, charged with preparing MOD’s people for cyber operations. This role will allow candidates, working as part of a newly formed team responsible for cross-Government cyber development and outreach, to have a direct impact on the effective management of the MOD’s cyber workforce.
Within the Defence Cyber Academy, working to the newly established C1 Cross Government Development and Outreach, candidates will have an active role focussed at cross-government approaches to cyber talent management. This will include the management of the Defence Cyber Competency Framework, operation of the MOD’s cyber talent management pathway, and working closely with other branches of the Defence Cyber Academy to ensure training and education is delivered in line with MOD competency frameworks. This will contribute to the Defence Cyber Academy becoming a centre of excellence for HMG’s Defence and Security sector cyber personnel management.
The main responsibilities of the role are:
All applicants should be aware that due to this being a new post established in an exciting growth area for Defence, the role objectives and responsibilities are likely to change as the Defence Cyber Academy evolves.
- Management & development of the Defence Cyber Competency Framework
- Management & development of the MOD’s Talent Management Pathway
- Liaison with MOD policy and process owners to enable routine oversight and to inform policy development from a practitioner viewpoint
- Implementation of policy set by MOD and cross-Government organisations with respect to cyber competency frameworks and talent management
- Work with members of the Defence Cyber Academy National and International teams in order to ensure framework and talent management is considered in all external engagements.
- Take routine operational decisions in the management of competency frameworks and talent management pipelines.
- Provide timely and authoritative advice to Defence Cyber Academy leadership in order to inform future policy decisions.
- Working level engagement with MOD and cross-Government policy owners to ensure effective and coordinated implementation of cyber competency frameworks and talent management pathways.
- Deputise for C1 Cross Government Outreach and Development as required
Occasional travel to other MOD and other government department sites may be required.
This role will offer candidates the opportunity to work in a mixed civilian and military team expanding to 15 people by 2024, which sits as part of the wider Cyber Defence Academy. Including this newly established team, the Defence Cyber Academy itself will grow to approximately 50-strong in the same timeframe. This team is currently made up of a mix of technical and non-technical trainers, with the Defence Cyber Academy growth adding both to the Education and Training team as well as establishing the new Outreach and Development team. Residing in a purpose-built facility comprising new working offices, flexible classrooms and learning spaces for remote and in-person delivery, the facilities and location make for a fantastic working environment.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Delivering at Pace
Seeing the Big Picture
Making Effective Decisions
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
Communicating and Influencing
Delivering at Pace
The Defence Academy is part of the Ministry of Defence. Our purpose is to develop the intellectual edge needed for success on operations and leadership in government. We deliver courses designed to unlock the cognitive skills of our students to expand their intellectual horizons and capacity. Our portfolio of long and short courses covers leadership, strategy, science and technology, and business skills. Our vision is to be recognised as an education provider of choice for defence, security, government and beyond.
The Defence Academy’s Information Warfare Group (IWG) brings together the existing Information Capability Branch, Defence Cyber School and Defence Simulation Centre to instil a unity of purpose and coherent approach within our digital and cyber specialist training delivery teams. The IWG aims to create a virtual centre of gravity around information advantage learning, coalescing existing specialist knowledge and expertise to deliver a coordinated approach to educating and training our people to have the right skills, agility, acumen and mind-set for the Information Age.
Building on the success of the Defence Cyber School, following the Integrated Review the MOD has an ambitious plan to scale this to a Defence Cyber Academy. Already acting as the primary provider of cyber training and education to both joint and single service organisations, with established links across Government, the Defence Cyber Academy will expand on the existing training output while also building an Outreach and Development function (across Government, Nationally, and Internationally). This exciting programme has a bold growth target to 2024, with those joining this new team able to shape its growth and direction.
At the Defence Academy we are passionate about delivering great things for our customers. But we also know you will have a life outside of work; we respect your priorities and our industry leading flexible working practices will give you real freedom to balance work and life.
We employ talented and diverse people who challenge and guide each other. At Shrivenham you will work within a highly capable team who will support you to develop your skills, knowledge and experience.
Some of the many benefits you will receive:
- Highly competitive pension scheme
- Flexi-time scheme upon completion of 6 months service, the line managers also has the ability to adopt flexible working sooner than 6 months.
- Alternative working practices
- 25 days paid annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
- In addition 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday.
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- Opportunity to join more than one of our many networks (Race, LGBT+, Gender, Disability and Faith & Belief)
- Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period for volunteer reserve commitments.
- Special Paid Leave for community volunteering up to 5 days a year.
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
- Shrivenham has good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social facilities, including Gym and swimming pool, as well as retail shops.
The post does not offer relocation expenses
External recruits who join the MOD who are new to the Civil Service will be subject to a six month probation period.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
MOD Recruitment Satisfaction Survey – we may contact you regarding your experience to help us improve our customer satisfaction. The survey is voluntary and anonymous. You may however be given the opportunity to provide additional information to help us improve our service which includes the collection of some personal data as defined by the United Kingdom General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR). The MOD Privacy Notice sets out how we will use your personal data and your rights.
Any move to MOD from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax-Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/.
Company: Ministry of Defence –
Company Location: Watchfield