Communications & Marketing Officer Job at International Water Association in London
The International Water Association is a worldwide network for water professionals and corporations, with a membership in the fields of water services, infrastructure engineering and consulting. It connects more than 10,000 experts within the international water sector. IWA is a network structured to promote multi-level collaboration among its diverse membership groups, to share the benefit of knowledge on water science, technology and management worldwide.
Each year, IWA organises and sponsors over 40 specialized conferences and seminars on a wide variety of water and sanitation topics worldwide. Further, IWA publishes 12 scientific journals and 40+ books per year. IWA develops leading edge innovations and synthesizes these through the work of 50 IWA Specialist Groups (SGs), 3 Clusters and a set of global programmes such as, Cities of the Future, Basins of the Future, Digitalization of Water, and Innovators Platform.
IWA has a worldwide staff of approximately 50, with headquarters in London and offices in The Hague (Netherlands), Beijing and Nanjing (China), and Chennai (India).
Detailed Job Description
Under the general supervision of the Marketing and Communications Director, the Communications Officer has the responsibility to execute on a variety of strategic elements of the IWAs Marketing and Communication plan. Responsible for further establishing the IWA members as thought-leaders and the IWA as a global reference point for water professionals and those concerned with the future of water, addressing all aspects of the water cycle.
In addition to this operational aspect of this job, the Communications Officer will take note of the tasks that form this role and advise the Marketing and Communications Director on the ongoing needs and planning of the Marketing and Communications department. They have the responsibility to produce communications content and strategies working closely with and to IWA’s Marketing and Communication Team, the Events, Membership Engagement, Corporate Services and Regional Teams. They will report to and work closely with the Team in establishing, raising and maintaining the IWA’s profile.
1. Thought leadership, content creation and promotion (40%)
As part of the Marketing and Communications Strategy develop a narrative to engage external audiences in IWA key thematic issues and programmatic areas to further position the IWA as a thought leader and global reference point for all those with a professional interest in water and water management:
· Research and write original content for website, social media platforms and collateral materials;
· Develop marketing benchmarking, research and write original content for newsletters, reports, speeches, presentations and for The Source magazine;
· Identify speaking opportunities for IWA thought-leadership;
· Identify and influence opinion leaders to position the IWA in that space;
· Ghost-write articles for IWA’s thought-leadership on issues related and beyond the water sector;
· Work closely with the Executive Office, Events and Member Engagement Teams to develop communications and content strategies for specific projects;
· Develop dynamic and engaging multi-channel content packages to promote the work of IWA members and marketing strategies of the IWA;
· Create and produce audio-visual content (photo, audio and video) through the management of visual assets relating to specific marketing campaigns and projects;
· Contribute to the global social and traditional media content strategy and develop specific social and traditional media strategies;
· Undertake reporting on key outputs and channels.
2. Communications and Marketing for IWA Congresses, Events & Awards (30%) Produce communications and media materials and content for IWA events according to IWA’s enabling, influencer and/or representing functions. Specifically, contribute to the communications and media engagement plan:
· Internationally and regionally;
· Produce media materials (e.g. briefing documents, backgrounders, Q&As, etc.);
· Provide online and offline content creation for website and social media;
· Media liaison: trade, news and business, international and domestic media;
· Liaise and manage different internal and external stakeholders;
· Guard and enable brand, values and identity of the IWA.
· media content strategy and develop specific social and traditional media strategies.
3. Media relations (20%)
Contribute to establishing, developing and maintaining media contacts to disseminate IWA’s message together with the team according to IWA’s media calendar and converged media strategy:
· Research, write and pitch media articles (op-eds, blogs, letters, etc.);
· Write and publish content for media section of the IWA website;
· Take responsibility for social media content and engagement;
· Contribute to the annual editorial calendar and planning process;
· Take responsibility for media monitoring, including daily briefs on breaking stories and the news agenda;
· Provide media advice and support to the IWA thought-leadership;
· Advise, develop and deliver media products, services and content, with specific reference to programmes, projects and campaigns;
· Media liaison, co-ordination of media briefings, one-on-ones, etc;
· Advise and develop IWA’s messaging according to journalistic demands, specifically around programmes, projects and campaigns;
· Develop media lists and media analysis reports;
· Prepare reports, newsletters, correspondence or speaking points as necessary.
4. Administration (10%)
· Carry out administrative duties required to function within the IWA;
· Develop and use annual and quarterly work plans to guide work and deliver results;
· Support the IWA Management in establishing a well-functioning organisation;
· Contribute to the team spirit and excellent ambiance in the IWA HQ and in working with members, partners, etc.
The above job description contains the main duties and responsibilities for this position. However, in a small organization such as IWA, the staff members are expected to show flexibility in their approach to work and be willing to undertake other tasks and missions that are reasonably allocated to them but which are not part of their regular job description. Where any task becomes a regular part of an employee’s responsibility, the job description shall be revised in consultation with the employee and their direct line manager.
Key Selection Criteria
· Right to work in the UK
· Experience with media relations and external communications;
· Experience of developing and delivering communications plans and strategies;
· Good experience of working with executives to deliver messages on target to key audiences;
· Proven track record of producing written and audio-visual communications and marketing content;
· Good understanding of social media and digital interactive networking platforms;
· Good networking skills to identify stories and develop contacts;
· Project management skills;
· Good interpersonal skills, appreciation of multi-cultural environment and the ability to gain understanding and cooperation across all areas of the organisation and its members and participants
· 3+ years’ experience in international communications is desirable.
Work percentage: 100% (35 hours a week)
Duration: Permanent, with 3 months probationary period
Duty station: London, UK
Salary Range: £28,000 – £ 32,000 per annum
Reporting to: Director of Marketing & Communications
Start Date: ASAP
How to apply:
Applicants are asked to submit their CV in English along with a supporting letter of motivation.
Applications should be submitted by e-mail before Friday 4 December 2020,
Applications will be considered as they arrive, so applicants may be approached prior to the deadline.
IWA is an equal opportunity employer.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Reference ID: IWA/CMO1
Application deadline: 04/12/2020
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £28,000.00-£32,000.00 per year
- Yes, temporarily due to COVID-19
Company: International Water Association
Company Location: London
Job Category: Marketing