Clerical Officer Job at Beaumont Hospital in Dublin
Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9
Directorate Support Manager
Appointment will be made on Clerical Officer salary scale (€24,601 to 39,087, LSI €40,592 – 15 point scale) at a point in line with Government pay policy.
Hours of work:
12 midday on Tuesday 19th January 2021 (The Hospital reserves the right to close the competition early should a substantial number of applications be received.)
To provide an effective, consistent and efficient level of clerical support to the Radiology
Reception area which includes the reception desk, the radiology switch system and the
management of appointments for the general area, and Fluoroscopy. Ensure the smooth running
of the areas assigned; liaise with Manager in identifying issues, proposing solutions and
implementing changes as needed to meet the demands of the business.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide clerical support to the main Radiology Department /Radiology reception desk
- Ensure the smooth running of the radiology reception area/ Radiology reception desk to include,
patients/clients being attended to, registered, arrived and directed to their destinations in an
effective manner to prevent undue delays to the departments scheduled lists.
- Schedule appointments for general x-rays for OPD/GP’s/External hospitals and private clinics,
fluoroscopy/screening areas in keeping with the vetting protocols.
- Responsible for the vetting of all fluoroscopy and general procedures.
- Responsible for the registration, admission and discharging of all Radiology daycase patients,
ensuring appropriate episodes are created and linked from BHIS to RIS, capturing the correct
patient classes, financial classes, attending Clinicians and external Clinicians where necessary.
- Create patients charts for new admissions onto the radiology day ward ensuring all data is
accurate and all forms, labels and notes are printed and filed in appropriate location in the chart.
- Responsible for tracking of charts to and from the radiology department.
- Responsible for performing triple ID/demographic checks on all OPD/GP/External patients
attending the Radiology department in keeping with the RPII guidelines and where necessary
update the BHIS system where any changes are required and ensure these changes flow down to
RIS. e.g. name changes, change of address etc.
- Responsible for notifying the RIS/IT staff of any new GP not entered on the system so these can
be created and linked to patient to ensure the report meets their destination/referring clinician.
- Liaise with wards and medical teams where necessary for queries in relation to preps,
scheduling or/on arrival of patients.
- Communicate effectively with the radiographers/clinical specialists/nurses and Radiologists
where necessary in relation to queries regarding urgent cases, force bookings, prep issues e.g.
steroid cover and gastrograffin preps
- Communicate effectively with patients in relation to queries, recalls and follow ups as directed
by the clinical specialists/Radiologists.
- Management of the radiology switch system and re-route telephone queries as necessary.
- Monitoring the daily schedules list for the areas assigned to ensure all DNA’s are cancelled and
letters are issued back to referring Clinicians.
- Issuing correspondence where necessary to patients, other hospitals and GP’s including
appointment letters, attendance letters, reports, preps etc. Ensuring any faxed reports are issued
to the appropriate referring clinician.
- Responsible for collection and distribution of the daily signed reports to the referring clinicians.
- Responsible for the daily run of batch report for reminder letters, checking/correlation &
postage of same.
- Responsible for updating the RIS system on any RIP’s that print daily and also from the list
received via the RIS office from Palliative care.
- Responsible for scanning paper work associated with coding forms/interventional for TRUS
- Responsible for conducting chart audits on a monthly/fortnightly basis in keeping with Health
- Responsible for disseminating the post that arrives into the department each day and ensuring it
is allocated to correct addressee.
- Responsible for ordering off-site images and return of same. Updating spreadsheet to keep
record of same.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Leaving Certificate or Equivalent
- IT Skills
Attention to Detail
Good Communication Skills
Experience in dealing with the public
Planning & Organising
Knowledge of how role fits into the wider organisational goals.
Ability to work as part of a team
Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills
Any other competencies as identified by the Grade III panel interviews
Further Information for Candidates:
Other (Please specify):
Informal Enquiries ONLY to:
Directorate Support Manager
A short listing exercise may be carried out on the basis of information supplied in your application. The criteria for ranking and or short listing are based on the requirements of the post as outlined in the eligibility criteria and skills, competencies and/or knowledge section of this job specification.
Company: Beaumont Hospital
Company Location: Dublin