Business Development Manager – Government Services Job at UK Hydrographic Office – in Taunton
As a trading fund of the Ministry of Defence, we support defence, safe maritime navigation, and marine development around the UK and worldwide. Working with a wide range of partners, we source, process, and provide access to data ranging from seabed to surface. We make this data available through our ADMIRALTY Maritime Data Solutions – a portfolio of world leading charts, publications and data sets, found on over 90% of ships trading internationally.
Everything we do is underpinned by our core values: together, responsibility, excellence and discovery. These are the guiding principles that help us work together to achieve our goals.
You will be responsible for:
- Leading, managing and developing the Government Customers market, striving for excellence in Partner management, and Customer engagement
- Securing, developing and growing current and new business Partner and Customer accounts
- Partner Plan management and Global Account Management Plan collaboration including use of tools i.e. CRM
- Proactive day-to-day Partner management including target measurement, identification of potential issues and initiating appropriate corrective action
- Holding regular meetings to drive performance and motivate Partners
- Monitoring performance to achieve or exceed targets
- Providing access/routes to training to support Partner technical development and sales activities including identifying unique needs and collaborating across the organisation to develop appropriate training
- Initiating and/or participating in Sales and/or Marketing initiatives in liaison with marketing, product management, customer service and channel colleagues in the UKHO to identify needs and opportunities
- Analysing market statistics, sales forecasts and sales figures
- Setting sales targets for sectors, campaigns and Partners in line with the divisional business plan and in support of the Corporate Plan
- Regular and ad hoc reporting to senior managers
- Using market intelligence, develop a business strategy to deliver against commercial targets
- Developing the market entry strategy and setting targets for sectors, campaigns and Partners
- Supporting and contributing to corporate strategy and planning
- Collecting Partner and Customer feedback, defining market research requirements and proposing follow through from resulting output
- Achieving market thought-leadership, keeping up to date with market insight, use cases, products, services and competitors
- Identify, manage and nurture business relationships across the Ecosystem Services/ Finance and Insurance / International Development and Aid market to generate growth
- Develop and nurture business relationships with Partners and Our Customer to ensure long term success.
- Engagement with the Channel & Partner Manager and Customer Services Manager
- Identify opportunities to improve the experience of Partners, Our Customers and stakeholders including support, information, processes and practices
- Manage resource plans and control including forecast financial spend against the budget in line with UKHO governance
- Manage the Sales budget, monitoring the expenditures and costs ensuring benefits are measured and realised
- Drive innovation and commercialisation through collaborative working with the Research, Innovation & Innovation and technical teams (Product & Services, Technical and Operations – Data & Content) delivering new offerings to market
- Work with Brand & Marcomms to determine support requirements and delivery
This role will be responsible for defining and create the Ecosystem Services business / Finance and Insurance business/ International Development and Aid business – creating the market proposition for ‘Blue’ geospatial data within the market and its subsidiary sectors.
Working in a matrix management environment with colleagues operating out of other locations in the UK and global offices outside the UK, you will have the opportunity to develop business cases for and influencing of Research, Innovation & Integration, and One Programme resource in the development of new products and service offerings.
Working to resolve conflicts and dilemmas where there is no clear right/wrong answer and in particular where direction is being set for the first time, the post holder will make judgements to overcome this. Key to success will be being responsible for identifying all credible options with an appreciation for the the interests of all stakeholders including demonstrating an appreciation for Partners and the environments they operate in i.e. B2B, markets and cultural.
The post holder will be personally responsible for the control of account management operational activity, processes and practice ensuring best value for money by demonstrating sound commercial and financial acumen in their decision making and their budgetary control.
Problem solving in this role will require a high degree of influencing, leveraging personal credibility, with the ability to negotiate and persuade a wide range of both internal and external stakeholders.
Full brief of the Behaviours, strengths, ability, knowledge, skills and experience required. Please note that we will only score against the sift and interview criteria and not the essential and desirable information below.
- Experienced Business Professional with significant new business development experience.
- Commercial experience including revenue generation.
- Proven success in working with complex (ie science, data or technical) market
- Proven track record of sales and/or business development within a B2B environment.
- Evidence of understanding of multi layered relationships and their operation in various cultures internationally
- Experience translating Partner and/or Customer requirements to technical staff, and translating complex technical topics to customers.
- Experience of working collaboratively across an organisation to achieve results.
- Experience of working in the market relevant to the role: Ecosystems Services or Finance and Insurance or International Development and Aid market.
- Business or relevant degree or equivalent vocational experience.
- Confident and effective presenter at all levels and in different cultural environments.
- Good IT, budget and reporting skills – Ability to interrogate and analyse data and translate into meaningful management and performance reports.
- Understanding of innovation.
- Understanding of brand.
- Foreign language skills.
Civil Service Behaviours (Level 4):Essential:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Managing a Quality Service
Things you need to know:
- This role is open to full time, part time, job share. The UKHO will consider flexible working or workplace adjustments, where appropriate.
- Security – successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
- The successful candidate must be able to travel as required, both nationally and internationally. It is anticipated up to 60% of time will be spent travelling.
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules. If you’re applying for a role requiring security clearance, please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Managing a Quality Service
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Business or relevant degree or equivalent vocational experience
Experienced Business Professional with significant new business development experience
Commercial experience including revenue generation
Proven success in working with complex (ie science, data or technical) market
Proven track record of sales and/or business development within a B2B environment
We offer a range of benefits to support your lifestyle, including generous leave allowances, flexible working hours, a lift-share scheme and regular training and development opportunities.
Working for UKHO, you could enjoy the following range of benefits: 26.5 days annual leave, increasing after five years service.
Flexible working options include: Flexible working hours scheme, that includes up to two days per month Flexi leave, remote working, part-time working, job sharing, paid special leave, career breaks and unpaid leave.
We offer maternity, adoption and or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay, followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid leave; plus paternity leave of up to two weeks full pay, subject to certain qualifying criteria.
We also offer a brand new state of art award-winning building.
Company: UK Hydrographic Office –
Company Location: Taunton