Business Development Director Job at CDS – in Leeds
Please note: CDS will not accept / progress applications from individuals who do not possess direct, relevant, and demonstrable experience of selling Digital Services into the UK/EU Public Sector. Please only apply if you can meet or exceed the elements highlighted in the essential requirements section below.
About the role
We are currently looking for an experienced Business Development Director to join our New Business team; focussed wholly on the development of new Digital service opportunities in the UK Public Sector. This is an exciting opportunity to join a close-knit community of high performers, to lead the agency in delivering world-class pitches that support the growth aspirations of the agency and enhance the show-stopping, signature work that CDS is known for across the UK.
As the growth engine for CDS, the new business team is recognised as a leading source of best practice across our agency. The Business Development Director for our Public Sector Digital portfolio is therefore a senior position; a resident subject matter expert in the agency for both Digital Services and insights to the needs, ambitions, and trends across UK Public Sector. The role requires a close collaboration with CDS operational leads, and our technology partner community, to drive the development of our Public Sector value proposition, leading by example and challenging the agency, to elevate our status in the Sector. The role should orchestrate the perfect blend of skills, resources, competency and technology from across the agency to produce world-class digital solutions and award-winning pitches we can be proud of.
As a natural self-starter, a Business Development Director identifies, generates and develops strategic relationships with potential new clients and partners in our defined target markets. They design and direct business development initiatives, guiding them completely from opportunity inception through to contract and beyond; supporting the transition to successful account management and further development.
The role will include developing campaigns, proposal and pitch materials, contributing to the development of marketing materials, public speaking, networking and maintaining a strategic collaborative position with prospective clients and in our partner community. An ability to multi-task and prioritise both time and resource is critical to the success of this role. The Business Development Director role will report directly into the Director for New Business & Account Development, and frequently collaborates with senior management and leadership across the agency to produce concepts, solutions, proposals and pitches.
The Business Development Director owns and leads the pitch process from start-to-finish, including deep qualification of opportunities, collaborating with key internal and external stakeholders on solution design, proposal writing and pitch deliverables, challenging prospective clients and their briefs, and creating excellent written content. They work closely with the Marketing and Creative teams at CDS to develop content, including concepts, that accurately respond to prospective clients’ business challenges, strategic objectives, and aspirations with measurement of our societal impact at the core. With no two days the same, you’ll be involved in a variety of activities, but primarily we’d like you to:
- Drive new business digital opportunities for the agency within UK Private Sector
- Lead the development of winning digital propositions and solutions that exceed client expectations and deliver measurable business improvement
- Produce industry leading content from written proposals and bids to client presentations, pitches, marketing collateral and thought leadership
- Own the commercial targets for the role demonstrating accountability and best practice across all systems, business processes, sales data and forecasting
- A minimum of 5 years business development experience in UK Public Sector
- Previous demonstrable business development experience in a Digital, Technology and/or Communications agency
- Demonstrable experience of meeting and exceeding commercial targets in a sales-led environment – P60’s should be available at request
- Demonstrable tenure / success as a Business Development Director
- Demonstrable experience of building relationships at C-suite CDO, CCO, CIO and CMO in UK Public Sector
- Demonstrable experience of leading and winning complex Public Sector bids >£5m
- Demonstrable experience of leading complex, multi-discipline Public Sector bid pursuit teams >10 people
- Demonstrable experience of shaping and developing a value proposition within a sector – ideally Public Sector
- A team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the competence to network effectively both internally and externally
- Empathetic and able to articulate a complex / sensitive sales pitch to a diverse stakeholder audience
- Good at information gathering and information management
- Exceptional organisational skills and attention to detail
- Self-motivated, autonomous, creative and able to work to deadlines
- Evidence of excellent written skills; leading on the production of tender documents, proposals, quotes, marketing collateral and presentations that meet the expectations of c-suite audiences within UK Public Sector
- Knowledge of CRM systems and ABM – ideally with HubSpot
- Naturally inquisitive, adventurous and a desire to challenge the status quo
- Ambitious and keen to be successful
The ideal candidate will possess an inherent drive for results, motivation and acute attention to detail. They can work independently, use their own initiative and cope with complex competing demands on agency time and resources.
Whilst we provide a comprehensive induction programme, 1-2-1 support, mentorship and access to education and professional development through our own Ofqual recognised Academy, the speed and direction of your progress will ultimately be in your hands.
CDS is a communications agency making a positive difference to the health, wealth and safety of the UK. We simplify complexity. Our unique straight-thinking process ensures the smooth delivery of business-critical projects that transform communications, change behaviours, and improve consumer, customer or citizen experiences for the better.
We resolve complex challenges to improve business efficiency, effectiveness, and streamline business processes underpinned by the very latest technologies. For example: digitally transforming the ability to report crime online for UK police forces; building a new digital platform for the regulator Social Work England; providing behavioural analysis and insight to drive EE’s evolving digital and customer service offering and; providing the marketing and operational print management service for the Ministry of Defence and Transport for London. Our clients include National Rail Enquiries, the Cabinet Office, Bank of England, Open University and Insight Investments. We also work with global brands including Coca Cola, MacDonald’s and Microsoft.
Together with our parent company Bailie Group, CDS is positioned as a leader in complete information and communication solutions. We have been recognised by the industries we serve, and our peers, for our innovation and contribution to connected experiences that truly make a positive difference:
- Winner Northern Dev Awards Project of the Year
- Finalist Northern Digital Awards Large Digital Agency of the Year
- Shortlisted Northern Dev Awards Best Deployment of a CMS
- Shortlisted Global Digital Excellence Awards Best Public Sector Website
- Shortlisted Digital Impact Awards Best Use of Digital in the Public Sector
- Shortlisted UK Digital Experience Awards Digital Agency of the Year
- Shortlisted UK Agency Awards Digital Agency of the Year
- Shortlisted Prolific North Awards Digital Agency of the Year
- Shortlisted Global Agency Awards Digital Agency of the Year
- Shortlisted Yorkshire Post Excellence in Business Awards
Companies with a turnover of £10-£50 million
- Ranked 8th Prolific North Top 50 Digital Agencies
Attractive base salary and an uncapped commission structure
Exciting career development in a fast-growing company
25 days holiday + bank holidays
Complimentary fruit, coffee, tea and beers on a Friday!
All the equipment you need to succeed
A business focused on professional development and personal growth opportunities
The rare opportunity to impact how the Public Sector delivers services to citizens
Smart, engaged co-workers and a culture of inclusion, innovation, and opportunity
Great work life balance
Our inclusive Culture
CDS positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We foster an inclusive culture that enables everyone to achieve their full potential and enjoy a fulfilling career with us.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From £70,000.00 per year
- Bike to work scheme
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Life insurance
- Referral programme
- Sick pay
- Work from home
Company: CDS –
Company Location: Leeds