Border Force, Communications & Engagement Higher Officer Job at UK Government – Home Office in Manchester
You will be a vital member of the BFN Communications and Engagement team and part of the Border Force North Regional Hub. The Regional Hub’s primary purpose is to support the regional senior management team and you must be able to deliver high quality work to tight deadlines and be comfortable working closely with senior managers up to the Regional Director (RD).
This role would also involve working with the wider Home Office Communications teams (Internal, Stakeholder and Digital) which supports the engagement of more than 30,000 colleagues across all operational commands of the Home Office, as well as its policy and corporate directorates.
The BFN Communications and Engagement team takes a strategic approach to internal communications, prioritising engagement and organisational change and transformation within an operational environment. You would support this strategic approach and direction working as internal communications and engagement manager.
You will on lead on many internal communications and engagement campaigns at Border Force North, supporting the work of the Senior Regional Communications and Engagement Officer. Your work will include the development and delivery of regional and local engagement events and campaigns, quality assurance and insight management.
You will work directly with the Border Force North regional leadership team, establishing them as a recognised community of leaders to increase engagement across the organisation. You will need to positively influence staff engagement at Border Force North, connecting people and promoting collaboration, while ensuring internal communications are aligned with organisational goals.
You make sure that internal communications at Border Force North are aligned with national strategies and work with the central communications services to develop key messages and campaigns where necessary.
There will be a focus on planning, consolidating and measuring the impact of staff engagement where possible to make sure priority messages are landing with colleagues, and supporting line managers to communicate effectively with their teams.
Full time only due to the small number of staff involved in comms work in the unit and the demands on the team. Wearing uniform is mandatory. When working in an airside location you will be subject to the same restrictions as passengers in terms of what can be brought through security.
The successful candidate will need to work at Manchester Airport and be prepared to travel often across the region and occasionally to other parts of the UK.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that internal stakeholders are engaged in and managed through effective planning, events and engagement activity
- Using a range of communication channels to reach different stakeholder groups
- Ensuring the right inputs are used (strategy, analysis and profile) to develop a stakeholder engagement plan with appropriate lead times for each communication channel. •leading engagement activity and acting as a single point of contact for stakeholders
- Establishing robust communication KPIs, gathering and analysing feedback across BFN to analyse effectiveness of engagement strategies
- Working collaboratively with colleagues in BFN and other Home Office departments to develop and implement robust stakeholder engagement and communication plans
- Managing Senior Stakeholders, providing liaison and briefing support
- Drafting, editing and assuring a range of briefings and communications products for a variety of audiences
- Strong communications skills (both written and oral) to build and maintain good relationships both internally and externally and ensure communications are tailored to suit different audiences
- Experience of using communications success and measurements matrixes
- The ability and confidence to communicate with colleagues and senior grades
- The ability to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility and be able to prioritise competing demands
- Strong organisational skills
- Evidence of striving for quality outcomes and excellence in everything you do
- Experience of using Adobe Creative Cloud
- Be fully competent in Microsoft applications: Word, Excel and Powerpoint
A professional communications accreditation is desirable
Knowledge of an operational environment is preferable
Experience of working with senior grades and the ability to work under pressure, to tight deadlines
Full clean/valid UK driving licence is desirable.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Seeing the Big Picture
Managing a Quality Service
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
Communicating and Influencing
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
Company: UK Government – Home Office
Company Location: Manchester