Asset Management, EMEA Head of Investment Stewardship, Executive Director Job at JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in London
The JPMAM Global Investment Stewardship team is recruiting for the Head of Investment Stewardship responsible for the EMEA region. The successful candidate will support the delivery of the annual and long-term objectives of the JPMAM Investment Stewardship global priorities (1) by leading and driving regional efforts in corporate engagement, proxy voting and reporting. The role will be in a front office environment and will involve regular interaction with our research analysts and portfolio managers across Equities, Fixed Income and Multi-Assets Solutions to coordinate and align engagement activities and voting proxies, as well as engaging with representatives of the companies in which we invest on their environmental, social and governance policies and practices.
The successful candidate will possess a passion for creative and critical thinking about financial markets, and a desire to be part of a fast-growing team.
Expectations of the role
- Set annual objectives and develop execution plan with clear metrics and measurement for the EMEA Investment Stewardship team
- Establish a framework for corporate engagement in collaboration with the local investment teams in EMEA; develop the engagement agenda; coordinate between different investment teams to ensure alignment on key engagement issues.
- Contribute to the ongoing maintenance and development of the firm’s stewardship policies, priorities and the strategies for implementing them each year.
- Engage with representatives of portfolio companies at senior levels to encourage business practices that support sustainable long-term performance and to ensure an understanding of JPMAM’s views on corporate governance and stakeholders rights.
- Provide oversight of the proxy voting process in the region to ensure all accounts are voted as intended and are in accordance with the appropriate guidelines; provide leadership for the EMEA Proxy Voting Committee; take ownership of the EMEA proxy voting guidelines; be responsible for JPMAM’s adherence to regional and local stewardship codes.
- Develop and take ownership of reporting of corporate engagement and voting activities for the region in collaboration with the local investment teams; partner with JPMAM’s client servicing teams and with clients directly to ensure client reporting and client presentations meet expectations, and that client queries on our stewardship activities are responded to promptly and to the satisfaction of the client.
- Represent Investment Stewardship at JPMAM in the EMEA region; work with regulators and industry bodies (eg, UK IA, EFAMA) on stewardship codes and relevant regulations; participate in investor roundtable discussions and external conferences to gauge subject matter scope defining the continually expanding governance landscape.
- Build key working relationships across internal constituents from investment teams, business teams and corporate teams
- Work closely with the global Investment Stewardship team and participate in the Sustainable Investment Leadership Team (SILT) to support the integration of environmental, social and governance considerations into the investment process;
- Produce thought leadership / white papers on investment stewardship topics.
Required skills for the role :
- Minimum undergraduate with a degree in finance, economics, law, accounting or public policy.
- 15+ years of financial services experience preferably in Asset Management with previous exposure to investment stewardship activities either working in an investment stewardship function and/or performing the role as an investor; or a background in a specialist organization/ sustainability-focused advocacy group/ think-tank/ NGO; high level of specialist knowledge of sustainability related issues including environmental, social and governance pillars.
- Proven presentation, communication and influencing skills; strong report writing skills; ability to engage with clients / corporates / industry bodies / regulators at a high level.
- Good understanding of sustainability and corporate governance related European regulations
- Ability / willingness to work with key internal groups – portfolio managers, analysts, product specialists, RFP teams, corporate actions teams; previous buy-side or sell-side research experience an advantage.
- Ability to work and drive change effectively in a high volume, rapid pace, deadline-oriented environment.
- Driven, strategic thinking, passionate about upholding fiduciary responsibility and driving responsible corporate and business practices to deliver long-term sustainable economic growth.
- Strong self-motivation and analytical skills; desire to lead a small team and dedicate time to cultivate talent.
Company: JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
Company Location: London