Advanced Apprenticeship – Digital Engineering Technician – Consulting Job at Arup in London
Advanced Apprenticeship – Digital Engineering Technician – Consulting
Please note that we are unable to offer Skilled Worker Visa Sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Arup is a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts. We use our skills to make a positive difference in the world. This is a brilliant opportunity to build a creative career designing and delivering exciting work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services.
Our apprenticeships allow you to study for an academic qualification while working and learning alongside respected, technical professionals.
About the role
A digital engineering technician works with a team of architects, engineers, designers and other professionals in the engineering consulting industry to design various IT and telecommunications systems for the built environment.
This typically includes the design of:
- IT communications infrastructure in buildings including IT routes, rooms, risers, copper and fibre optic cabling
- Local area networks, wireless LANs, telephony, unified communications
- Terrestrial and satellite television distribution systems
- Radio and cellular distributed antenna systems
- Audio visual systems
- Large screen displays
- Airport operational systems
- Rail systems
This apprenticeship leads to the following qualifications:
- BTEC Level 3 Construction and the Built Environment
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Built Environment Design
As a digital engineering technician, you will be working closely and providing technical support to our engineers and consultants in carrying out design work according to client requirements.
Duties may include:
- Production of 3D or 2D drawings using computer software.
- Production of Building Information Models (BIM).
- Preparation and checking of simple engineering calculations.
- Assisting with the preparation of reports and presentation.
- Collating and analysing information from different sources.
- Contributing to providing solutions to design problems.
- Supporting the administration of projects.
- Initial checking of own work.
- Meeting agreed deadlines
- Attending and participating in company activities, presentations and workshops.
- Keeping your training log up to date and attending training where appropriate.
You will be assigned a mentor within your team to ensure a smooth transition into the working environment. You will work and liaise closely with them in your day-to-day work.
What we look for
To be a digital engineering technician you should have:
- Desire to work in an engineering/design office environment.
- Good numerical/maths skills.
- Good literacy.
- Digital skills which might include some basic coding experience.
- Ability to manage your own time and prioritise at busy times.
- An interest in using computers for design work and calculations.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organise projects.
- A temperament that means you work well with other people
- Excellent communication skills within a team and externally
- Awareness of the built environment.
- Ability to present and explain the thought processes behind your own design work.
- Willingness to study for a Level 3 qualification
- Willingness to achieve professional qualification e.g. EngTech
You should be able to demonstrate that you are:
- willing to learn and develop your skills
- enjoy working as part of a team
- have a keen attention to detail
We’re looking for candidates with a minimum of five GCSEs Grade C/4 or above, or equivalent. These must include a Grade B/6 or above in Maths GCSE, or equivalent qualification and a Grade C/4 or above in English, or equivalent qualification.
Ideally, you will also have a GCSE at Grade C/4 (or equivalent qualification) in a technology-related subject for example Design & Technology, ICT, Computing, Graphic Design or Creative Digital Media.
We are keen to meet people with digital skills such as coding and 3D design, however, we know that digital and technology skills are not always gained through study for formal qualifications. So if you don’t have a formal qualification in this area do please tell us about any self-taught skills or other experience you have.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
You must be available to commence employment no later than August 2021 in order to be considered for this role.
All correspondence relating to the selection process will be issued via email. Please ensure you check your emails regularly to receive up-to-date information on your application.
Shape your time with us
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We, therefore, welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. As a firm with an increasingly agile workforce, we’re open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.
Reference ID: 2060
Job Types: Full-time, Apprenticeship
- Bike to work scheme
- Company events
- Company pension
- Gym membership
- Life insurance
- Private medical insurance
- Profit sharing
- Store discounts
- Wellness programmes
- Yes, temporarily due to COVID-19
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
Company Location: London